Thursday, December 9, 2010

Single serving desserts

I love baked goods, cookies, cakes, breads, if it's sweet and fattening, I love it.  In fact, I love it so much that I NEVER bake anything unless there are a ton of people around to eat my food or someone for me to pawn it off on.  Otherwise, I'll eat it all myself within two days and have to workout like a mo'fo for a week to undo the damage.  And quiet frankly, I am getting old now, so that's not as much of an option as it used to be. 

The other evening I got a craving for some chocolate, which is rare for me, but nontheless, I wanted some.  Having none in the house, I decided to make a single-serving coffee mug cake.

4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
1 Mug

Mix dry ingredients.  Stir in the wet.  (Make sure to stir well, a little bit of dry flour was still in the bottom of mine). Microwave for 3 minutes. 

Dont watch it - you'll panic becuase the cake rises up, sometimes out of the cup. Sort of like when you're cooking oatmeal or Coco Wheats and it comes to a boil and rolls right out of the bowl (but in my opinion those two things never quiet come out right in the microwave anyway and should always be prepared on the stove top).  The cake looks scary, like its going to make a huge mess in your microwave that will bake on and you'll be forever trying to clean out of there. And then, its done! 

I modified my recipe a little bit and reduced the amount of sugar and oil.  I also used coconut oil (that's what I had on hand).  It gave the cake a nice, subtle coconutty flavor. You could also add chocolate chips and nuts if you wanted to.

The cake was pretty tasty, a little bit dry.  I just jabbed mine with a spoon a couple times and poured some milk on top.  Warm chocolately not too sweet goodness! 

Note- Dont spray non-stick spray on the cup, the cake wont rise correctly.

I found this online and havent tried it yet, but I'm sure it works well too (and is good for those of us who don't have alot of raw ingredients lying around:

1 packet - Instant Oatmeal
1 Tablespoons - Butter (if you don't mind transfats, this is coincidentally equal to one packet  of KFC's "Buttery" spead)
2 Teaspoons - Sugar (4 sugar cubes or two sugar packets from the local coffee house)
2½ Teaspoons - Egg (beaten) What?!?!? You don't have eggs? I knew that. Use 1 Tablespoon of Mayo (equal to one packet from Weinerschnitzel or Chik-Fil-A) Applesauce or smashed banana would work too if you have them handy.
3½ Tablespoons - Flour
A tiny pinch of baking soda and another of salt.

Makes one cookie, approximately 200 calories (like you really care).

Optional
2 Tablespoons - Raisins or Chocolate Chips (as if you're going to have those hanging around)

No comments:

Post a Comment